are some tips on how you should handle some common problems:
injuries: Do not move a child who may have a serious head, neck,
or back injury – call
911 if your child has a serious head injury with any of the following:
of consciousness or drowning
headache or vomiting
to move any body part
of blood or watery fluid from the ears or nose
speech or behavior
Protect the child from injury. Do not put anything in the child’s
mouth. Perform CPR if the child is blue or not breathing. If breathing,
lay the child on his/her side to prevent
choking and call 911.
- Button battery ingestion: Small electronic devices may be equipped with powerful coin-sized button batteries. When swallowed, these batteries can become lodged in the throat and cause severe, corrosive burns or even death. The most common and serious cases involve nickel-sized 20mm diameter batteries which can burn through the esophagus in as little as 2 hours. Symptoms may include coughing, drooling or discomfort. As a precaution, or if you suspect battery ingestion:
- Keep devices with button batteries out of reach if the battery compartments aren’t secure, and lock away loose batteries.
- If your child swallows a button battery, go the ER immediately. Do not let your child eat or drink and do not induce vomiting.
- To learn more, visit this site or call the Battery Ingestion Hotline: 800-498-8666.
- Share this information with your friends!
- Laundry detergent pods: A number of manufacturers have recently introduced detergent packets, or “pods” which are brightly colored and are easily mistaken for toys or candy, and ingested by young children. Ingestion can lead to poisoning which can produce nausea, vomiting, respiratory distress and eye damage when the pods pop open. Although manufacturers are working to make the pods less colorful and appealing to children, we recommend either using an alternative form of detergent, or ensuring that any pods are stored in a high, locked cabinet well out of reach of your child. Should your child ingest all or part of a pod, call Poison Control immediately at 1-800-222-1222 or take your child directly to the ER.
If the child has been exposed to or ingested a poison, call the Poison
Control Center at 1-800-222-1222!
poisons: Do NOT induce vomiting, except on professional advice.
Poison Control Center at once
gases, or smoke: call 911 or the Fire Department and get the
child into fresh air.
If the child is not breathing,
exposure: Acids, lye, pesticides, chemicals or any potentially
poisonous substance, wash skin
amounts of water or
mild soap and water
For any severely ill or injured child, call 911!
Keep the child in the sitting position with head tilted slightly
forward. Apply steady, firm pressure to both
nostrils by squeezing them between your thumb and index finger
for at least 10 minutes. If bleeding continues or is very heavy,
your physician or seek emergency help.
injuries: If any substance is splashed in the eye, flush
gently with water for 15 minutes. Any injured or painful eye should
be seen by your doctor. Do not apply any medication or attempt
to remove foreign bodies from the eye.
and Sprains: If an injured area is painful, swollen, deformed,
or motion causes pain, immobilize it as best you can
(ie. with a towel), apply ice, call your doctor or seek
If you can see a break in the skin near a fracture, or
if you can see bone, cover the area with a clean dressing, immobilize
a splint and seek emergency care at once.
If a baby tooth is knocked out or broken, apply clean gauze
to control bleeding and call your dentist. If a permanent
tooth is knocked out, find it and rinse gently without
touching the root.
Place the tooth into cool water or milk, and transport
the tooth with the child when seeking emergency care from the
can find additional resource information on First Aid and Child
Safety on The
American Academy of Pediatrics website
Medical Associates of Abington
Rydal Road Suite 300
Rydal PA 19046
Medical Associates of Norristown
160 West Germantown Pike
East Norriton, PA 19401
after hours help, call